Even the smallest renovation requires planning and clarity about your goals and priorities. Understanding and communicating this to your renovation professionals will help ensure the final results meet your expectation. For detailed information on the renovation process, download the RenoMark Reno Guide for step-by-step advice on renovating your home.
Here are some simple tips to help make your next home renovation and energy-efficient one.
- Identify what you want to achieve and set a budget.
- Check with Enbridge Gas, Toronto Hydro and/or the City of Toronto to find out what rebates may be available before you start your project.
- Explore ways to make your renovation greener and healthier, including using non-toxic, low VOC products, and sustainably harvested wood products.
- Also consider upgrades that will make your home more resilient to the effects of extreme weather from climate change, including extreme heat, flooding and power outages.
- Look for contractor and renovator recommendations from trusted friends, family and neighbours. Meet and interview your renovation professionals, and get at least two quotes, in writing before you decide.
- Ask potential contractors and renovators for references and get contracts in writing.
- Ask contractors and renovators for the license number and verify it at the Business Licence Lookup website. Call 311 or 416-392-CITY (2489) for more details.
- Make sure you have all the necessary permits. Visit the City of Toronto’s Building & Construction (or call 311/ 416-392-CITY (2489)) to see if your project requires a building permit.
- Contact a registered energy advisor to schedule an EnerGuide home evaluation, to learn about your home’s energy usage and make informed decisions to improve it.
- Document your journey. Take before and after pictures!