Here are some helpful tips for selecting a contractor or renovator.
Find reputable professionals.
- Get recommendations from someone you know and trust can help you make a decision.
- Look for established businesses in your community.
- Your local hardware store may be able to provide you with trusted local contractors.
- Larger building supply stores offer installation services using a roster of professional renovation
Get references and qualifications
- Ask for references and check them.
- Verify contractor qualifications. Renovation professionals
- may have a City of Toronto Trades License, either as building renovator or as a construction sub-trade (i.e. heating, plumbing, insulation installer).
- Ask contractors for their license
number and verify it at the Business Licence Lookup website or by calling 311 Toronto or (416) 392-6700 (TTY 416-338-0889)
- Renovation professional should have a valid Harmonized Sales Tax Number
- liability and worker’s compensation insurance that is up to date. Ask to see their current insurance certificate.
Sign a contract
- Before you sign the contract
- Read the contract carefully and understand what it says
- Make sure that the contract describes exactly what you want and what you have been promised