Want to enjoy a more comfortable and climate-friendly home? You’ve come to the right place!
BetterHomesTO is the City of Toronto’s one-stop resource to help residents make their homes more energy-efficient and climate-friendly. On this site, you’ll find important information, including:
- how, why, and when to get an EnerGuide Home Evaluation
- the various home improvements you can make, including costs and things to look for
- why all homes need to be net zero, and what that means
- programs, incentives, and rebates to help you get started.
Why is home energy efficiency important?
Here are the facts:
- homes and buildings produce more than half of the greenhouse gas emissions in Toronto today
- the City of Toronto declared a climate emergency and is committed to accelerating its efforts to mitigate and adapt to climate change
- a number of goals have been set to reduce emissions from Toronto’s homes and buildings. These include:
- all existing homes be upgraded to achieve net zero emissions by 2040, or sooner if possible
- new homes be built to net zero by 2030
- an energy-efficient home is more resilient and climate-friendly, and you’ll save on energy for years to come.
What is a net zero home?
A net zero home is comfortable, healthier, and better for the environment because all the efficient features work together to lower energy consumption, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and shrink their carbon footprint. Features include:
- well-insulated and airtight, with excellent ventilation and air quality
- high-efficiency heating and cooling equipment
- low-flow accessories to lower water consumption and water-heating costs
- smart or a programmable thermostat to manage heating and cooling
- upgraded windows and doors
- high-efficiency lighting and appliances
- renewable energy, such as solar panels
- a low EnerGuide rating (very energy efficient)
Learn more about the features and benefits of net zero homes.